May 21, 2007
- JUST RELEASED: 2007 RURAL ECONOMIC AND HEALTH VITALITY POLICY AGENDA
- BLUEPRINT LEARNING NETWORK: 2007 WORKSHOPS
- IMPLEMENTING PROPOSITION 1C: AN ANALYSIS OF THE COMPETING PROPOSALS
- NEWS FROM THE REGIONS
With a large freshman class in Sacramento, a host of bond implementation bills pending, Regional Blueprint Planning efforts moving toward implementation, and a collection of region-based efforts underway across the state - several of which are showcased in this issue - we are bracing for a busy and productive Summer. Let's use the Blueprint Learning Network, Regional Collaborative Network, California Economic Leadership Network, and the emerging Green California Network to stay connected.
JUST RELEASED: 2007 RURAL ECONOMIC AND HEALTH VITALITY POLICY AGENDA
CCRL is pleased to announce the release of the 2007 Rural Economic and Health Vitality Policy Agenda, the latest product of our Economic Vitality Project. Sponsored by the California Endowment and the Humboldt Area Foundation, the Agenda builds on the 2005 Rural Economic Vitality Conversations, in collaboration with the Governor's Cabinet, the Legislature, and regional and statewide leaders. The Agenda identifies leverage opportunities in key state agency and legislative initiatives – including recently approved infrastructure-related bonds – as well as policy-specific recommendations in four core policy opportunity areas: ubiquitous broadband access; housing, land use and infrastructure; education and workforce development; and the innovation economy. For background and summary info, click here.
BLUEPRINT LEARNING NETWORK: 2007 WORKSHOPS
The BLN Steering Committee has announced the dates, locations, and themes of the 2007 Blueprint Learning Network Workshops (see below). As in 2006, the workshops support Regional Blueprint Planning Program Grantees as a forum for Regional and State Agencies to exchange information, share best practices, and combine knowledge and resources. To participate, please contact Seth Miller at email@example.com. For more information, see calregions.urbaninsight.com or www.calblueprint.dot.ca.gov.
Session 1: June 20-21
- Energy, Land Use and Carbon Emissions
Session 2: Sept. 25-26
- Air Quality, Agricultural Lands, Conservation, Economic Prosperity
Session 3: Nov. 13-14
- Environmental Justice, Public Engagement, Local Marketing, Implementation
Register Now »
IMPLEMENTING PROPOSITION 1C: AN ANALYSIS OF THE COMPETING PROPOSALS
CCRL Policy Research Analyst Elinor Buchen has completed an analysis of several key proposals to implement Proposition 1C. The report provides context to the related issues of housing, land use, and transportation, particularly with regard to the implementation of the $850 million, voter-approved Regional Planning, Housing and Infill Incentive Fund. Building from the 2006 Regional Growth Dialogues, CCRL and our regional partners identified a set of guiding principles for the Fund: strengthen integrated regional planning, implement smart growth principles, increase supply and variety of housing, maximize leverage, deliver funds equitably and include accountability standard. The report presents a set of recommendations for implementing the Fund, and concludes with Next Steps for State Agencies and for the Regional Collaborative Network. To view the CCRL Policy Brief, click here. For an electronic copy of the full report, including analysis of the individual proposals, contact Eli directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEWS FROM THE REGIONS
- The Association of Bay Area Governments is holding its FOCUS on Bay Area Housing event in Berkeley on June 28. For event info and to register »
- The Fresno Business Council is creating an Associates Council to expand the team of civic entrepreneurs working to transform the Fresno community and San Joaquin Valley region. The Associates Council Action Plan is attached. Interested individuals should contact Deborah Nankivell at email@example.com for an application.
- The League of California Cities offers a rich summary of infrastructure implementation bills in the latest issue (4/27) of Priority Focus. The League has announced the agenda for its 2007 Annual Conference at the Sacramento Convention Center, September 5-8. For event info.
- The California Association of Councils of Governments has issued a policy statement (4/13) regarding the "Selection of Projects to Implement Provisions of Proposition 1C and Proposition 84". In the statement, CalCOG advocates for project selection in alignment with regional blueprint plans. Implications for SB 375 are of particular interest. For more information »
- The California State Association of Counties is maintaining updated Infrastructure Bond Guides.